(click ad) In honor of the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing (Apollo 11 launched July 16, 1969) let's revisit a buygone day of advertising when the Doyle Dane Bernbach Volkswagen ads were the envy of every ad copywriter and art director in the solar system. This gem ran in Life on August 8th of that year, two weeks after the astronauts returned safely to Earth. No product shot, no body copy, no clowning Peter Stormare, no sexist Beetle belly visuals, no lame Night of The Hunter riffing. Just a timely, simple, effective truthful idea that sold the hell out of the car (image via).
SEND ME TIPS: copyranter(at)gmail(dot)com
- Name: Mark Copyranter
The Best Ad Critic In The World™ (™ pending), also a damn good copywriter with 20+ years experience in NYC. Hire me for your in-house creative department, and I will help you make better, funnier, more interesting, and more effective ads/branded content. Samples/resume available upon request. Salary request is very reasonable.
- Biz mag's solution to recession: eye checkups.
- copyranter on ANIMAL NY: Converse.
- Parkinson's Disease—F*CKING hilarious.
- Cute business card will get Toronto massage therap...
- copyranter on ANIMAL NY: anti-secondhand smoke ads...
- Claw Paw From The Skyy.
- Link Haze, 7/10/09.
- Introducing the new Ford Mustang/Tarantula hybrid....
- copyranter on ANIMAL NY: Main Drag Music.
- Britney Spears helping Russian women learn English...