Thursday, July 15, 2010

Drumming, the neighbors complain about. Wife-beating...


As a lifelong drummer (On a real drum set since I was six. Actually I arranged pots and pans around me on the kitchen floor to bang on when I was three.), I can attest to people's universal dislike of percussive noise. In college, The Raging Bull Jake LaMotta's nephew (who resided on my dorm floor) threatened to kill me over my daytime drumming. So this experiment by ad agency Ogilvy Johannesburg on behalf of South African women's abuse organization POWA interested me.
Not a surprising result. But first off, I'm doubtful that the taped fake altercation was as loud as the drumming. But who knows—maybe the fight noise was cranked to be louder than normal. And secondly, I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled to find out they were shown to be uncaring jerks via a "viral" ad, if they are even aware of it yet (the video has low page views). Still, it gets its point across.
Previously in: unconventional domestic violence awareness advertising.

2 Comments:

Blogger Black Phillip said...

Lame.

The first noise is a clearly someone being an asshole, and WILL carry far.

The second noise is, well, who really knows by the time they hear the snippits that filter out. I'm sure what the neighbors could hear (if anything) could have easily sounded like rough sex.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but recorded sounds usually sound, well...recorded. My guess is that the neighbors that heard it probably thought it was a movie or something.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home