Thursday, September 15, 2011

Does this new Old Spice print ad work for you?

(click ad, via)
I mean, I get that inside our library nerd hero is a rocker (with a bitchin' double-neck bass and 12-string axe). But, I don't get it. It's stupid. Sorry, unimpeachable Wieden+Kennedy. But then, the Isaiah Mustafa ads didn't really do much for me, either. I guess part of the problem is that my own musk already smells pretty damn good (so I've been told by the hot woman I'm married to). So, Old Spice ain't gonna make me smell better than myself. IMO, the pre-Mustafa commercials were funnier. Update: And what does that sweaty rocker smell like? (thanks @U_S_C)
Previous Old Spice print ads:
• Ahoy, gratuitous bikini babe.
• Brian Urlacher before Old Spice swagger.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris Collision said...

Why does the deodorant look like a dong?

I don't hate this ad. I'm still frustrated that Old Spice got hipped up--I really thought that was one brand that worked frozen in time (and I'm invested in the product, b/c it works really well w/ my own stench)--but at least the ads are half-decent. And the "in there" repetition-clunk works strangely well.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Josh said...

What's with the repetition on "in there"? Feels very clunky. I like the art though.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too many theres in there

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who don't hate this ad (and I mean really really hate it) should not work in advertising. This ad is shit.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a bull's eye example of why you shouldn't fall in love with your first idea, or worse yet, produce the damned thing.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Brooks said...

Why the fuck does a "rocker" have a sax on with a guitar? I might be missing something, which wouldn't be the first time.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Paul Murray said...

This is a similar ad I spotted somewhere that seems to also completely miss the point.

http://www.paulmurraydesign.com/advertising/baffling-web-hostin-advert

Apparently guitars are the in thing!

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, "why does it have a sax on it?" You're kidding, right? Because it's preposterously awesome is why! It's called humor, and it sells. It endears the brand to potential customers. Funny and smart is their angle and it works here. This ad is brilliant, hilarious, and artful, and the copy is dead-on, despite some folks' misunderstanding why one might be playful with it. Thank God for clients like Old Spice.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home